Thursday, January 5, 2012

Revlon Lip Butters



The Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters have taken the makeup blogging world by storm.  It's difficult not to see why.  They are affordable and quality alternatives to the higher end sheer moisturizing lip products such as the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine and YSL Volupte Sheer Candy.  Honestly, I think I like these better than Chanel and YSL (gasp!).  I have two swatches in this post. However, since photographing these, I have acquired 7 more for a total of 9 lip butters.  I will update this post with swatches of the others when I get the chance.

When I think of lip butter, I picture a lip balm in a tub type thing, a product that's meant to heal dry lips, and if there is color you bet it's sheer.  The Revlon lip butters are nothing like this.  They go on the lips buttery smooth like a lip balm, but they are not short on pigmentation.  These far exceeded my expectations on pigmentation.  In fact, when I tried one on for the first time, I really pressed down and began to apply heavily with the preconceived notion that "lip butter" would mean something very sheer.  Boy was I surprised.  Like any pigmented lip product, they can be applied lighter or more heavily to control the amount of color you would like.  Though these apply smoothly, feel extremely comfortable on the lips, and may seem like they are moisturizing, they don't add any moisture to your lips.  I also want to mention they are smell-less and tasteless.

Unfortunately, like many "moisturizing" lip products, the Revlon lip butters don't last on the lips for very long.  I find the need to reapply after 2 hours.  Another thing I don't like about the product is with the packaging.  The product is in your standard lipstick tube.  However, the cap is extra long leaving a little less than a quarter of an inch at the bottom where you pull the lipstick tube from the cap.  I often have some trouble pulling the lipstick out since there is so little to grip on the bottom.  It's sorta minor I guess but annoying none the less.

Here are swatches of Strawberry Shortcake and Sweet Tart:



Strawberry Shortcake


Sweet Tart




The Revlon lip butters are permanent and are appearing at your local drugstores, Ulta, and Target.  Depending on where you buy, they go between $5 - $7 and change.  I definitely recommend checking these out.  Especially in the colder weather, they are nice to wear when your lips need a break from dryer lipsticks. 







No comments:

Post a Comment