Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chanel Spring 2012: Ombre D'eau Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadow Source #40



A very unexpected purchase from the Chanel Spring 2012 collection for me was the Ombre D'eau in Source.  I almost missed this piece completely if not for one last glance at the collection when I was at the counter.  I had never tried Chanel's liquid eye shadow formula before, so I was intrigued.  When you collect cosmetics, you get to the point where there are few things that are truly new and intriguing.



The Ombre D'eau comes in a pretty weighty frosted glass container, and the applicator is a doe's foot sponge.  It can be worn alone or as a base for shadows.  They are crease-free and long lasting (around 8 hours without creasing without a primer and close to 12 hours without creasing with a primer).  However, because of the metallic, iridescent finish, my SA did not recommend this for folks with fine lines or wrinkles as the finish would emphasize these.  Even though these are long lasting, they are NOT waterproof.  In fact, they come off rather easily with just water.


You need to shake the bottle very well before application.  My SA recommended placing the product on the back of the hand and using a synthetic brush to apply rather than applying the product directly to your eye from the applicator.  This way, you have more control of the product and avoid over applying.  I found using your fingers to apply and blend works out just fine as well.  The formula dries down pretty quickly, so you have to work equally as quick to apply and blend out the edges.


The swatch above was with one swipe with the applicator.  The formula is buildable so you can go as subtle or striking as you wish with the finish.

I wasn't expecting much because pinks on my eyes usually make me look tired or sick.  Maybe it's because of the metallic/iridescent finish or perhaps the shade of pink is very pale, almost champagne-like, but it looked very pretty.  The results actually had a brightening effect on my eyes that made me look more awake and fresh.  I was instantly sold.

Since purchasing Source, I've been using it quite often.  It's amazingly easy to use, quick and perfect for those mornings (which is almost every day now with the baby) where you don't have more than 5 minutes to make yourself look presentable and I love how long it lasts.  At the end of the day, it still looks great.  The delicate pink is perfect for spring, but I think it's wearable year round.

Chanel's Ombre D'eau is $32 and available at Chanel.com and Chanel counters.


No comments:

Post a Comment